
Ryan and I were in the mall on Friday checking out overpriced items at Hollister. We walked by this mannequin that must have been modeled after a 5'10", 90lb, 16 year old girl. "She" was wearing a tight t-shirt with string bikini bottoms. This is what Ryan said;
"It's a good thing you don't look like that because I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off you."
Now I know Ryan meant this a compliment. In his mind he was saying "I already have trouble resisting you as it is. If you looked like that I'd never get anything done." I heard it as "I wish you were 16, 9 inches taller and 20lbs thinner." So naturally I took offense. We'll I don't know what crack I was smoking but I thought it would be "interesting" to try on that t-shirt/bikini bottom combination. I know there are some 33 year olds out there who can pull that off but I'm not one of them. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. It doesn't help that the dressing rooms in Hollister are basically a box with a bare lighbulb over head. It would make Gisele (you know, Victoria Secret model) cry. I left Hollister feeling once again that I was way too old to even be in that store and that the teenagers who work there are secretly laughing at me.
9 comments:
Hey - i thought I posted something on here yesterday - never showed up. Hi SHea
Becky
Ohhh don't you just love it when men open their mouth with out thinking. It's like the time when I came to Mark late one night and informed him that I was done with the whole nursing thing (when Thomas was only 5 weeks). He was on the computer playing a game and with out even turning to look at me he goes on to say (which I will never forget)"I guess I will just have to get used to small boobs again" AHHHHHH, knowing me I probably cried (being all hormonal and thinking I was a horrible mother for quiting) and didn't talk to him for a day. Men???? At least you actually tried to please him with trying on the outfit. Most of us wouldn't even go that far to please the spouse. He's lucky!
I wasn't trying to please him. I just wanted to see for myself how I'd look in it. Although it just made me depressed.
Hi Becky.
Yes - an overhead solitary potlight is not your friend - you'd really think store designers would be aware of that.
OH my goodness, how rude. I hope you get an extra trip to Walmart to make up for it.
Kim
I am ashamed to admit I have made similar thoughtless comments to Liz once or twice in our 9 year marriage. Men are inherently insensitive which is why their comments are so often misunderstood and why they love to sit in bars and drink beer with other men.
Ouch. Ryan what were you thinking??? Shea, you're hot and don't let anyone tell you different! :)
Men. They should have their mouths surgically shut. hahaha
Post a Comment