Friday, August 24, 2007

Morrissey Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want



"Morrissey has no interest in returning to the days of yore with guitarist Johnny Marr and his ex-bandmates in The Smiths, not even for a deal that would line his pockets with cash."

Billboard reports:

"Morrissey's publicist has confirmed the artist refused a $75 million offer to tour under the Smiths name in 2008 and/or 2009, with the only mandate being that Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr would be part of the band. The Smiths also declined a multi-million dollar offer to perform in recent years at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif."

I don't get it? Doesn't money motivate everyone?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was more familiar with your music. My sister Melissa listened to that stuff. Good old grunge days. I was more of a hip hop and cowgirl. Odd Mix eh?

Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia: To this day Morrissey refuses to reunite his old band, going as far as to say that he would “rather eat [his] own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that’s saying something for a vegetarian.” In March 2006 Morrissey revealed that the Smiths were offered five million dollars to reunite for a performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which he turned down, saying, "No, because money doesn't come into it." He further explained, "It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. [Marr] wanted to end it. And that was that." When asked why he would not reform with The Smiths, Morrissey responded “I feel as if I’ve worked very hard since the demise of the Smiths and the others haven’t, so why hand them attention that they haven’t earned? We are not friends, we don’t see each other. Why on earth would we be on a stage together?”

Gotta love that first bit. I guess that he feels pretty strongly on this. Time to give up the dream, Shea. I wish that I could have seen them back in the day. I don't know that they would be so amazing now. Music wise, the 80s were a fun time to be a teen. But we can't go back - not that I would really want to.

Shea said...

What is he using his testicles for? Isn't he celibate? Why so bitter? Johnny Marr is playing in Modest Mouse so it's not like he's just sitting around. For me, The Smith's without Marr is like The Beatles without Lennon.

Anonymous said...

Damn! Kristin beat me to the punch with the Morrissey testicles quote.

Monti