Saturday, December 15, 2007

I didn't come here to Jazzercise



In an effort not to gain 200lbs by Christmas, I have returned to The Gym. My goal is to get in two weight and one cardio class a week. The trick is finding the classes you like to go to and have good instructors. My old weight class was taught by Naomi who I believe had perfect arms. Her perfect arms motivated me and made me believe that maybe someday, I could have arms like that also. Naomi didn't fool around either. I got really strong going to her class and I probably lifted more weight than I ever have before. I was sore a lot but it was a good kind of sore that made me feel like I was accomplishing something. My whole working out routine was interrupted by our summer trip to Alberta, then adjusting to working (18 hours a week!) and then just general laziness. I'm back now but Naomi has left. I don't know where she went but it makes me sad and I know I'm not the only one who went to Gold's just for her classes. So the last couple of weeks have been a testing period for other classes. I found Shirley on Mondays that I really like and then I do a spin class for my cardio. Wednesday I decided to try out Lana's weight class hoping that I'd have found my trifecta of workout classes. I should have known when I walked in and only saw three other women there that it wasn't going to be fabulous. One of my pet peeves when taking a class is when the instructor has us work out like "girls". I don't want to do any of this Jane Fonda crap where I lay down on my side, put a dumbbell on my inner thigh and "lift, lift, lift". I know it might work out your inner thigh just fine but I want to put a barbell on my shoulders and lift like a man, dammit! I found myself getting angrier and angrier as the class went on. I left about ten minutes early feeling like I could have had a better workout with Gracie as my instructor. I won't be going back to Lana's class and instead I guess I have to now try out the new spin instructor on Wednesdays. Hopefully I don't get in a fight with anyone.

2 comments:

Ter said...

first of all, I don't see you ever gaining that much weight! secondly, good for you for being on top of your overall health.

noelle said...

was she wearing an elasticized butterfly belt with her workout outfit? :-)