Saturday, January 20, 2007

Don't Mess With Me Psycho Gym Girl!

In November and December I started attending the Saturday morning spin class at my gym on a regular basis. It starts at 9:15 and I never had a problem finding a bike to ride. Well with January come all the new years resolution people who fill up all the classes for about a month (I'm hoping). I show up in January for my spin class only to find it was full. For the next two weeks I went a little bit earlier each time only to find that it was either full or people were saving bikes for themselves and friends by putting a towel or water bottle on the bike. This drove me nuts! If you are not on the bike you shouldn't be able to save it. In the aerobics room there's a sign that says "no saving of equipment" so why can't it be this way for the bikes? Yesterday I decided to call and make an anonymous complaint about the saving. We'll I think the guy I talked to might have had the poorest reasoning skills of anyone ever. I told him I didn't think it was right that people were saving bikes. He basically said "what can I do about it?" Hello? You run the gym. I'm sure you can put up a sign that says "no saving of bikes". He kept saying "I'll make a note of that but there isn't really anything I can do if the instructor doesn't agree." Don't the instructors work for you? I brought up the aerobics room rule and he acted like that was news to him. Maybe he never leaves the front desk. Today I decide to leave extra early in hopes of getting a bike. I ate cheese fries at The Training Table yesterday and I really needed to burn off some calories. I got there about 20 mins early and as when I walk into the room there are about 4 people on bikes and 20 bikes with assorted "saving devices" on them. I was so pissed! Another lady was standing there with me so we said something to the instructor. She told us that as long as they were in the gym and got to class before it started then they could save bikes. We argued over the unfairness of this and she seemed to see our point. She then told us that she knew one woman (apparently another instructor) calls ahead and has a lackey save her and her friend a bike. Natalie, the instructor, did not think this was fair. So she took the towels off those bikes and told us we could have them. Well I know who this woman is and she scares the crap out of most people there. She's loud, obnoxious and mean looking. I find her extremely irritating and from what I can tell she spends the majority of her life at the Spanish Fork Gold's Gym. The other woman and I give each other these looks like knowing that the sh*t is going to hit the fan when Psycho Workout Girl sees that her towels are gone. The class starts to fill up and eventually everyone is on a bike. Well here she come sauntering in and looks around for her saved bike. Seeing none open she says "DID SOMEONE TAKE TOWELS OFF THE BIKES?" Other woman and I just stare ahead. She repeats herself and I finally say "Natalie took them off because she said someone called ahead to save them. She said we could have the bikes." Meanwhile I'm wondering why Instructor Natalie is not speaking up. Apparently she is scared of Psycho also. Psycho gives me a dirty, starts doing some weird dance while saying "no they didn't" and says she is going to go talk to "someone". I can tell everyone in the class thinks she's cuckoo but won't say anything. One of the desk people comes back and Instructor Natalie tells him that they should not be calling ahead to have bikes saved. Mike says "ok no saving then?" Natalie says "Yes." So Psycho girl comes back and by then there is an empty bike because someone didn't show up. She gets by her bike which is across the rooom. Looks straight at me and says something like "If we can't save bike then someone needs to tell Mike instead of just taking the towels off." Oh don't mess with me Psycho Gym Biatch!! I look right at her and say "I didn't take your towel off. Natalie did and gave us the bikes." She sits down and the class starts. Instructor Natalie, who is pregnant BTW, tells us we are going to work all this anger off and proceeds to try to kill us. After the class was over as I was walking out another "gym rat" says to me "Way to stick up for yourself today." So at least I got a little respect at the gym now. Damn!

4 comments:

Lori-Ann said...

Shea- That is kind of funny - people get so uptight at the gym eh? I totally agree that no saving should be going on- especially in January. I hate the January rush - looking forward to quieter times at the gym in February. WTG for sticking up for yourself BTW.

me said...

I've had to be a 'mouth' myself a few times in my gym days...and I taught a few of my friends to stick up for themselves too. I am also a stickler about the 30 minute rule if it's busy. If you've been on for 35 minutes and I have been waiting, I will request you get off so as to be fair to others. It's probably a good thing I don't go to the gym anymore, it was more frustration than it was worse. Now I just have to kick my hubby off! LOL

Carol said...

Go Shea GO!!!!

Nicole said...

You go girl!!!