Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sporty Shave Ken You're Totally Awesome!



It's Ken with a whole new look for 1980. He's athletic. He's all man. He even shaves! Kids can draw a beard on his face and then "shave" it off. Again and again. Or draw a funny mustaches. It's fun! They can pretend he's a tennis star or marathon runner with or without a mustache. (Ok that's odd. I wonder if having or not having a mustache makes a difference in your sports performance) He's got a big date with glamorous Barbie doll and he's been working out all day. Never fear-everything's included to help him get ready. Our man Ken comes with beard marker, shaving mug, 2 shavers, after shave/colonge bottle, toothbrush, toothpaste tube, hairbrush, comb, hair dryer, wristwatch, tennis racket, jacket, shorts, long pants, shoes.

My brother sent me this a while back and I just remembered I had it. I got this fine Sporty Shave Ken for Christmas when I was about 7 years old. I totally remember opening it up and using the marker to make his beard and then "shaving" it off. I don't know if I asked for this or if it was a spontaneous present from the parents. I find it to be a rather odd choice for a 7 year old girl but I've never claimed to be normal. I remember thinking his hair was so totally awesome. Since I am a keeper of many useless things, I still have this Ken and my girls now play with it. The marker and shaving accessories are long gone and I gave him a fine buzz cut many years ago. Luckily I also kept my very first Barbie, California Dreamin Barbie to keep him company. What are some odd childhood toys you remember playing with or even crazier, still have?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Around the same time, I just had to have "Suntan Tuesday Taylor", a fashion model Barbie-type whose skin would actually darken when left in the sun AND you could twist her scalp to make her hair blond or brunette. It was my first realization that things aren't always as cool in real life as they look on TV. Tuesday had a pretty face but was kind of scary looking with a big seem on her forehead and skunk-like hair that was half dark brown, half platinum blond. It's too bad that I don't still have her. I think that she and "Sporty Shave Ken" would really have hit it off. Here is a link with some pictures of this 70's fashion icon.
http://www.dollreference.com/ideal_tuesday_taylor.html

Carol said...

I still have my holly hobbie easy bake oven. My brother and I used to warm up our cookies in that thing. I am dating myself pre-microwave days LOL!
I never had barbies. Was never too interested in them. I don't know why? All my friends had them.
I loved smurfs. Still have them sitting in an old purple felt Crown Royal Rye draw string bag. LOL!

Dana Kuzmanovski, M.Ed., BCBA said...

That Ken does look totally awesome! I used to love my Barbie camper, and wish I kept it for Natalia. :(

I did keep one thing...my Grandfather built me a dollhouse, and my Grandmother made all of the furniture (couch, bed linens, etc). Oli and I plan on refinishing it one day, and giving it to Talia when she is a little older.

Carol, I used to keep marbles in a crown royal bag! We all used to carry one to school! LOL!

Nicole said...

I didn't have him but I think I had just about every other barbie/ken there was!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I still have my marbles in a Crown Royal bag. I won it playing marbles and didn't know what it was until much later since I was raised in an abstaining home.
I saved up my money to buy a Super Ball - just a really bouncy ball that I thought was great. When I bestowed in on my son a couple of months ago he was less impressed than I thought he should be. It's a SUPER BALL! Oh, simpler times. He recently started a paper route to save up to buy a Nintendo Wii.
SIL

Shea said...

We had those crown royal bags in our toy chest. We used them for a lot of things. Weird. Is that a Canadian thing?