Wednesday, January 03, 2007

WHO IS FONZY!?! Don't they teach you anything at school?

I'm very slowly moving back into teaching and today I subbed in a grade one classroom. Being a sub is hard because the kids goal is to get away with things they can't get away with when their teacher is there. So basically you spend the entire day trying to keep them from going insane. When they are seven it takes about .5 seconds for them to go from calm to chaotic. It's really amazing actually. I have a degree in early childhood education but except for teaching my children (poorly I might add) I haven't used it in a professional setting for over seven years. It's like they can sense my inexperience and are ready to take every opportunity to break me. I felt like I did pretty well today keeping the peace but I did end up making one girl cry. I didn't think I was that mean and just basically told her sternly that she needed to find something to do other than running around yelling. Seemed reasonable to me. Oh well it isn't a good day unless you make a small child cry, right? What makes this job even better is that I make less than I would at Taco Bell but it's good experience for when I do actually want to go back to work. I have to admit that I was sad going today because it's another gentle reminder that I will not be home with a new baby in a couple of weeks. I'm now entering a new phase of my life that I was not ready to enter. But at the end of the day when the kids gave me high fives and hugs as they left to go home I did feel that love for the job that I had felt years before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You only made one girl cry? Surely you can do better next time.

Love, your evil chicago friend

mom said...

Shea, I just typed a long note and they didn't accept my password.

mom said...

OK now I will try again. I am excited that you are subbing. I think that it was a good sign that they gave you hugs and high fives when the day was over. I can't believe that that girll thought that yelling and running all over was acceptable behavior. Were you subbing in your girl's school?
I have also put my name in for subbing but our school doesn't start until Monday. I am a little nervous after being my own boss in my own classroom for over 35 years. I am thinking of getting together a survivor packet of work, games, drama activities, etc. in case the teacher's plans are not long enough, or horros.there is no plan.
Monti and Becky got me a new mouse for my lap top and I love it. Love you mom

me said...

Yay for another successful day! Less than you'd make at Taco Bell!!How much do they pay? It's $80 a day here and I thought that was bad, but you can't make that at TB here for sure.