Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Disturbing

I forgot to tell about something disturbing I saw at the Scottish Festival. No it wasn't a Scots twig and berries. We were watching the pipe band competition when a young boy and girl walked by us holding hands. These kids couldn't have been older than Hanna, my guess was 9 or 10, and they were holding hands with fingers intertwined. At first I thought maybe it was a brother and sister just being cute but I could tell when I looked harder that they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Ryan and I saw it at the same time and just stared at each other in disbelief. Ryan's exact word's were, "There would be a serious beat-down." I can't imagine any parent being okay with nine year olds dating but we were in Payson.

Another disturbing thing (nice segue) are my arms. I'm verging on obsession when it comes to hating my arms. I know for a fact that my arms are big because I fit into an xsmall quite nicely at most stores I frequent (except for that horrible Hollister which I shouldn't even go in because I'm too old) but my arms are more like a medium. Mostly this is a problem with blouses and not t-shirts because of the stretch factor. I've resorted to repositioning the buttons on a few of my blouse sleeves. I noticed in the winter, when I was having a bout of depression that caused me to eat everything and be a complete lump, my arms outgrew a few of my favourite shirts. Luckily, because I'm no longer a food devouring lump, they seemed to have returned to a size that allows them to be put into sleeves. I'm still not satisfied and long for the days of my youth when I had abnormally skinny arms. I wouldn't mind that abnormally skinny body either.

Me at girl's camp in 1990. Look at those skinny arms!

Try not to focus too much on my keen early 90's fashion sense but instead look at the skinny arms.

I found this picture when looking for pictures of skinny arms. I played guard on our Jr. Varsity team. I have a feeling this was taken after practice. The hair! The acne! The lack of breasts! Egads!

12 comments:

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

you look like Natalie Portman

Shea said...

I wish! You're my new best friend Alyssa.

Anonymous said...

Well Shea, your arms and mine (although mine are much bigger than yours) are a matter of genetics. My grandma Wilde had the exact same problem so it is not your fault. Love you Mom

Susan said...

I can't imagine Annalise having a boyfriend right now. She's way tooo young. Kids are growing up too fast.

Anonymous said...

I always thought you looked like Winona Ryder.
Can I be your best friend?
Well at least it wasn't a 10 yr old girl and 19 yr old boy - that would be greater cause for concern in my book.
I hear you about arms - for a brief period in March/April I felt fairly satisfied with my arm situation - but it didn't last.
Looking forward to hanging out with you guys - when exactly are you coming and did you want to stay here at some point because you would be more than welcome.
Becky

Shea said...

We are coming sunday and I talked to Monti about staying at your house Sunday night.

Monti said...

I wouldn't feel too bad, you're not even fully grown in those pictures.

We might be in Great Falls on Sunday so maybe we could meet.

It will be fun when you guys get here. I'll treat you to a double-double or a "Snow-Bob". (Bleah, did I really just type "Snow-Bob"??)

Quinn said...

My boys have made comments on my flabby arms. It is so great for ones self esteem.

Maybe you traded skinny arms for breasts?

You look great though, don't forget it.

SuburbiaMom said...

I love the keen early 90's fashion sense! You crack me up. Your arms look great, by the way!!

Shea said...

Kimberlee I can tell you there were not traded for breasts.

Nicole said...

Shea- I love the old picture's!!! And what the hell are you talking about? Every picture I see of you, you look tiny (all over) and in great shape!

Ter said...

If your biggest complaint is your arms, then you have nothing to worry about, my friend.