Saturday, July 12, 2008

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"


We headed to Payson today for the 25th Annual Scottish Festival. My high school band teacher, Jerry Chatwin, was the Honorary Captain General (or whatever they call it) because he founded the festival when he was teaching band in Payson. I was hoping I'd see him and I was fortunate to find him right away. How can you miss a man with feather in his cap? I love Jerry and I sometimes think of him as my "school dad". He always pushed me when I didn't want to be pushed and I think I'm a better person because of him. I see him most summers when I'm home but I hadn't seen him in his full Scottish garb since I was in band. We had a great time and I highly recommend the festival, especially if you like pipe bands and haggis.

I had to ask and Jerry said he wasn't wearing anything under his kilt. Hanna was very grossed out and asked me, "What if he climbed up a tree and a girl was walking by?" "I guess she'd get an education."

The caber toss. This is seriously impressive.

"Get your haggis, right here! Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ails ya!" We all tried the haggis but it didn't cure Ryan's cough.

The Payson High School Pipe Band. I thought they did a great job. One of the reasons I'm sad about leaving is that it's one of the few high schools that has a pipe band.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun - caber toss is cool and pipe bands choke me up for some reason. So mournful.
Becky

Kristin said...

What a fun time. You look fabulous. Maybe I will learn to play the bagpipes.

Quinn said...

awesome! That sounds like so much fun.

Tisa said...

Didn't know you were so into the Scotts. I would be a little weirded out if I knew he was going commando, poor girl scarred for life.

Melissa Miller said...

Your band teacher from Canada also lived in Payson? What a small world. That is a great picture of you. Sorry I missed out on 7 Peaks this week. We have never ending family in town!!

Anonymous said...

It was great that you got to visit with Jerry. He was a great influence on you in high school. I do remember though that when I was teaching in Elementary school that every once in a while I would hear Jerry's voice loudly proclaiming over the intercom "Shea Toly get to the band room fast!!! Love you Mom

Susan said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I've always wanted to go to one of those Scottish festivals.

Monti said...

"Och! 'Tis no more than what God gave me, you puritan pukes!"

If Ryan picks that up today can you have him give a call on my cell? I need to get the paperwork going on it so I need the serial number. My cell is the same as my home phone but the suffix is 4109.

Thanks!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Looks like you all had a blast!!!

Ter said...

glad you had a good time ! :)

Lori-Ann said...

Hey Shea - just catching up on blogs...looks like you guys got a taste of Scotland while we were there. Nice.