Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm going to LOOOOSE it!

I don't know if it's anxiety over selling/buying a house but I'm so ready for my kids to be out of the house and at school. I think it's 98% anxiety and 2% kids bugging me. I know it's not a very "good mom" thing to say about your own kids but I've spent every day all summer with them so it's not like I'm neglectful. The thing that is driving me today is Grace's cough. She's had allergies and the drainage has given her a cough. What's annoying is that every cough sounds like a forced, fake cough. I have a thing where repetitive noises sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and this cough is just like that. I just told them both they have to go outside because secretly if I hear that cough one more time I think my head might implode. Ahh that's the stuff, silence.

Ryan and I have a meeting tonight with a realtor for Ivory Homes. We found a lot we both really liked in east Lehi and we're hoping that the horrible economy will be on our side when it comes to a building price. I know we haven't sold our existing house yet but I'm hoping that my excitement to build will fill the universe with house selling positive energy. Also we've lowered the price. We drove out to the lot yesterday evening so Ryan could see it for the first time and were immediately approached by a couple of neighborhood women. I have a hard time with people in Utah assuming everyone is Mormon or if they aren't Mormons, then they are somehow less desirable. The women were very friendly but immediately started talking about the ward (church for those who aren't familiar with Mormon culture) and how great the bishop was. They then asked "You're LDS aren't you?" I guess it's a good thing we are. I asked them about the people living in the house to the east of us and they said they were a very nice Asian (at least they didn't say oriental) couple who owned a Chinese restaurant in American Fork. "Oh, but they aren't LDS." SAY WHAA?! There it was, the thing I was hoping they wouldn't say. Maybe this is an unfair comparison but what if they had said "Oh, but they aren't white."

12 comments:

Monti said...

They already told you they weren't white now they just needed to let you know they aren't going to heaven.

Kim S said...

My mom used to dance in the aisle at school supply time and go on and on how it was just the BEST time of the year. So I don't think you're alone in wishing school would start already. Since Eli's in camp, I don't really care where he is, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Some things to expect living in a prdominately LDS community. If you were moving to any area around Rome, the assumtion would be that you were Catholic. Where I was raised in the central valley of California, you were assumed to be Baptist. Living there I wasn't allowed to play with neighbors that knew I was LDS. It's all relative. I wouldn't become too irritated with it. People's assumtptions don't make them bad, just a little ignorant. The LDS Religion in Utah is different than than other parts of the country. It doesnt' make it less true because of the density of members and sometimes annoying statements of others, it's just where you live. You can come out to sunny California. That's not a problem here. Just the opposite. You are mocked in some areas for your moral standings. Oh well. Whether you are surrounded by well-intentioned LDS members or those who lack Religion or morals, (not because they are not LDS, but because they have chosen no GOD in their life), life and people are hard to deal with wherever you live. So buck up buttercup. You could live out here among the non-LDS/religious of any kind and pay 450,000 for a small home in a good neighborhood and wonder how you are going to afford your mortgage and somehow put aside $$ in your savings account. Forget the college money, those kids better get a scholorship. So, we live where we are able to handle different people or situations with the best attitude possible. Since I'm still working on this, (jsut ask the lady I chewed out at the park a few years back), I'm just greatful I have a few year more to learn to tolerate and maybe love those around me. There's my soapbox for the night. Lots of Love Shea. I miss you and the kids.
Love Sarah

Chelle said...

I think they should make a t-shirt that says, "I see stupid mormons"...I'd wear it...

Chelle said...

oh yea, are you looking at the Ivory homes that are on center street/8000 N.? cause if you are that is right down the road from Brians parents house. oh my gosh, i might have to go a do a "happy dance"!!! Plz, plz, plz move there! that would be so cool!

Susan said...

I have to agree with what Sarah just said. Unfortunetely, you can find stupid (& thoughtless) comments anywhere. What those comments are can depend on where you live. Anyway, I wish you luck with your house(s)! I hope the market is better than here in northern California. It's super crazy.

Shea said...

Thanks for all your comments. I know the women weren't being malicious.

Chelle said...

www.seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com
I think you'll find it quite funny.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, and I agree. I would relaly love it if my kids grew up with more diversity, and Heber was as far as we could realistically move without going to SLC (only 20% LDS). I do want my kids to have good LDS friends to help them stay stong and good, but I also wouldn't mind them being around different culture and religions, sometimes you appriciate you own more when you see the differernce and sometimes you even learn from others. Some of my Brothers good friends in HS back in Kentucky were Baptist and they had better morals and standards than thier own LDS friends. All in ALl, It would have bugged me too.

P.S. I had a dream this morning that you and Karen came and picked me up to go shopping at the outlits and I was ready to walk out the door and then my kids woke up. I sat up for a second and realized that it was a dream. Talk about a bad start to my morning.

Quinn said...

I don't think it was an that unfair of a comparison.

I can almost hear them saying it in whispered tones too.

Shea said...

Thanks Kimberlee.

Anonymous said...

That would really bother me too but I'd probably be run out of that neighborhood! As you said, they weren't being malicious but it's still frustrating, I'm sure. Maybe you can just point out what nice grass the orientals have!