Monday, June 30, 2008

This is what Laura Ingalls Wilder does to our kids

Ryan reads the Little House books to the girls a few nights a week and this is what happened to them Saturday night at about. They had slept over at the neighbor's house on Friday night and Hanna admitted that they stayed up until midnight. I think Grace lasted about one minute and Hanna was out in about ten. I made Ryan keep reading because I like hearing the stories. When I was putting Grace to bed I couldn't help thinking about the Simpson's episode where Bart and Lisa are in foster care with the Flanders. They put them to bed at Rod and Tod's bedtime and Bart opens up the blinds to reveal a mid-afternoon scene. The sun is shining and all the neighborhood kids are out playing. That's how I felt when I put Grace to bed Saturday "night".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids NEVER fall asleep when I read to them - I could read the whole book and they wouldn't give in to sleep.
Are they liking the Little House series? We have an interesting related book that has recipes and crafts from the book - remind me and you can borrow it if you want.
Becky
Hey - did you take your kids to Kitt Kitridge? I thought of Hanna when we saw the trailer. My kids strongly recommended Wall-e - as we were leaving the theatre Beth wanted to call and tell your kids to see it.
Becky

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

My hubby has told me that I can not put the kids to bed when it is still light out. I told him that He is crazy.

All I think about when I look at that photo is.....Wow, they must have a great a/c system. look at how wrapped up the girls are.

Shea said...

Alyssa they're crazy. I do keep it pretty cool but I didn't think it was that cold.

Becky I think I'm going to wait until we come up to see the Kitt movie. We might see Wall-e this week.

Melissa Miller said...

We are coming tomorrow!! Are you kidding, we can't miss Canada Day!

Kristin said...

Very sweet picture. The girls look like they are deep in dreamland.

And your house looks amazing. So clean and stylish. I have been working on home decor here, since we are staying a bit longer. Wish you and Karen were here to give me some advice. Maybe I can email you some pictures and get your suggestions.

Susan said...

What's funny in our house is I'm the one to fall asleep when read to. Doesn't matter who's reading -- Annalise or a book on tape. I'm sound asleep. Anyway, I loved the Little House books when I was little. I would read and re-read them many times.

Ter said...

aw. lol. I also had the thought, wow, they are really bundled up there!

Anonymous said...

Your girls really are good about going to bed. They need their rest as they are going all day long. I wish I was closer to give them good night hugs. Mom